Thursday, September 13, 2007

the most important moment of Petraeus' testimony

[To his credit, I'm surprised Petraeus didn't
regurgitate Bush's talking points like a good soldier
is supposed to. Instead, he dodged the question
twice. I'll bet his non-answer infuriated the White
House.]



SEN. JOHN WARNER (R-VA): "I hope in the recesses of
your heart that you know that strategy will continue
the casualties, stress on our forces, stress on
military families, stress on all Americans. Are you
able to say at this time if we continue what you have
laid before the Congress here as a strategy, do you
feel that that is making America safer?"

PETRAEUS: "Sir, I believe that this is indeed the best
course of action to achieve our objectives in Iraq."

WARNER: "Does that make America safer?"

PETRAEUS: "Sir, I don't know, actually. I have not sat
down and sorted out in my own mind. What I have
focused on and been riveted on is how to accomplish
the mission of the Multi-National Force-Iraq."

No comments: